14.7.11

day 14, 10, and 28

Eyes.

I've been going through this coming-to-terms-with-the-fact-that-I'm-growing-up phase, which means I've broken down and decided to start playing with eye make-up. The fact of the matter is, I loathed the idea of ever having to wear any make-up until the tenth grade, when I realized that everyone was wearing it.* Then, I got a powder compact and mascara and an eye-liner stick and kinda just rolled with it. I wore eye liner on just my bottom lid for my whole junior year, but then I got lazy again. That powder compact lasted me until last week. I know that's not healthy now... My mom told me never to do that again. But anyways, when I went to get a new powder thing, I bought this eyeliner, and I dug up some old shadow, and decided to try to make myself look hot. Hot mess. This is going to take longer than I thought.

Childhood memory.

Oh man. I don't even know where to start. Darth Nesbit came into our lives (me and the bros) while we were living in the house on Hallmark, which means I was in the fourth or fifth grade. Mark had had this Darth Vader Barbie for forever, but he was way too big to be used with the action figures, and one night, I got this hot idea to take off the Vader costume and dress him up with my other Barbies as a joke. The resulting outfit has not been taken off, added too, or messed with even in the least bit for the past decade. "Nesbit" comes from Toy Story, when Buzz Lightyear is dressed up in an apron and hat and tells Woody "I'm MISSUS. NES. BIT. MUAHahahahahahahahaha." (and then Woody says "Snap out of it, Buzz!" hits the helmet, slaps him across the face with Buzz's dismembered arm, and hits the helmet again. Thanks to Jacob's 3-times-a-day obsession with that movie that year, I memorized it. I still can start quoting it from any point in the movie. I consider that to be one of my greatest skills.) The same night that Darth Nesbit was born, we wrote him a "theme song," composed to one of the demo tunes on my electric keyboard. I still have the original lyrics, in Mark's handwriting, in a scrapbook, but I know them by heart:

Darth Nesbit
Darth Nesbit
He's so cool
He'll take you to school

Oooh, ooooh
That was a 3rd degree burn
oooh, oooh
Do you want some burn cream?

Darth Nesbit
Darth Nesbit
He may be weird 
And he may wear a dress
But he's still cool
Yeah, he's the best!

Darth Nesbit
Darth Nesbit
He has three girls and they live in a tree,
Boy I wish Darth Nesbit was me!

I could go on about the 3 girls and the tree, but I'm sure you all know a lot more than you were wanting to know about DN, so I'll save you the rambling. Unless you want to know. Just let me know. 

Flowers.

My faithful, floral Swatch! This watch's very loud ticking has kept me sane more than once, usually in times of physical or mental stress. For instance: the time I overdosed on Sudafed while watching The Soloist with Molly Cook and I thought I was dying (she only likes a part of the story that I don't really remember, about Mr. Collins...? moral of the story: don't OD.), or the time when I sliced my ankle open at Girls Camp (that night, the girls in my cabin decided to play arctic circle [turn down the AC as low as possible] and I didn't have a blanket, and my leg was up the wall to make the blood drain out of my foot, which was already truncated from my leg by a knotted knee-length sock and a few crusty paper towels,  and I was shaking so bad that I thought I was going to die.) I really don't think I'm going to die that often, but the soothing, steady ticking of this watch is my sanity. And the flowers are nice too.

So I hope you enjoyed Madi's story hour, because that's probably how long it took you to read this post! 



*On one of the last days of the eighth grade, I did come to school with some sort of glittery eye shadow on. Don't ask me why. I was probably trying to show everyone that I was ready for high school. I clearly remember feeling pretty good about myself for trying something new, and exactly as that thought crossed my mind, MC looked at me and asked, "Do you know you have glitter on your eyes?" And I know she didn't mean anything by it, but I felt so ashamed and suddenly out of character that I vowed to never go back to glittery eye shadow again. We'll see if that lasts. Also, thank you for saving me 100s of bucks by deterring me from wearing eyeshadow starting at that wee age, Moldog. I owe you.

No comments:

Post a Comment