And it was so stifling in our dorm room that I could not bring myself to stay inside after dinner.
There was a breeze outside by then, though, and the sun was starting to set, so I decided to go sit outside and read. At first I tried to get into the courtyard that our room faces. Naturally, it is fenced off and locked up and you cannot get in, ever. I ended up sitting behind a garden fence, with my back to the dorm. But there were a lot of ants there, so eventually I moved to one of the benches that all the Asians would sit on to smoke. The Asians left last week, so they weren't using it.
I sat there and read for a while, the moon rose, I thought about leaving Glasgow, and I got a runny nose. I didn't want to go inside for Kleenex, so I wiped my nose on my pants... multiple times. Thank heavens Jenna is doing laundry tomorrow! I sat up from wiping my nose, and I noticed that this little bag, a very minute ghosty, was flying towards me.
It was small. It looked like a perfect little cone of plastic, with clean edges--someone had designed it to be a ghost. And it was just riding the breeze, at face-level. I caught it with my right hand, the way Gandalf caught the moth when he was sitting on top of Orthanc.
And I looked at it. It looked like a bird had pooped on it. So I let it go again.
And it fluttered down to the ground, but picked up speed, and zoomed off to around the corner of the building (and possibly into the forbidden courtyard). I regret that I did not whisper anything to it. I do not regret letting it go again. It was a benign ghosty.
I felt like it was coming to tell me something. It wanted me to not be sad, maybe. Or it needed to tell me that the ghosties of Glasgow know who I am and they love me and they will miss me. Maybe both things.
Then I went inside. With the windows open, you can feel the breeze in our room now, and it is almost cool in here. I can't believe that we only have three more sleeps in these beds.
No comments:
Post a Comment