19.1.14

hungry in paradise

So, the truth about my cooking habits is: I don't have any.

I like to bake. I like to bake a lot, actually. Not only because I tend to like to eat baked things more, but also because I can usually give baked things away. That makes it easy to A) serve others in that baked goods way and B) I don't have left overs that get stale. 

Unfortunately, when it comes to all other kinds of food-making, I really only do it when I have to. I am not super passionate about it, even when I know I can make something that tastes really good. Cooking takes time, and it can be really messy. I'd rather just eat something that tastes good without extra help. Like baby peppers. Or ice cream.

In the house I'm living in this semester, I have access to a full (shared) kitchen. There are some pots and pans, and the other people that live in the house have made lots of different foods since I've moved in. This is what I have eaten since I've moved in on Friday: candy, one pita with peanut butter, one pita with hummus, some veggies, an orange, some apple juice. I got a free lunch on Saturday, which was really quite nice, but on my own... It's been scant.

When I got home from church today, after my pita and hummus lunch, I went upstairs and laid myself down and tried not to think of all the foods I wished I could just expecto patronum into my room (as in, "make appear," not "make appear as a patronus"). The list included several breakfast foods, several different kinds of cookies, and even baked potatoes (which was definitely on the list because of how freaking large the last baked potato I ate was. Thanks Kylan). I woke up from my nap still hungry. I found a mini kit-kat in my coat pocket (from the free lunch, hallelujah) and I just finished it. It did not fill me the way I long to be filled. 

So I guess I'll go make another pita with peanut butter. 

And hopefully, the co-op will have some really tempting spaghetti or something tomorrow. Grocery shopping round 2. Slash hopefully I will be able to go to a real grocery store soon. Slash hopefully I don't run out of candy in the next five days. 

1 comment: