7.3.14

geniuses.

A group of people just told me that I must be missing the Texas heat, to which I responded, "It's actually still winter in Texas, it gets cold." The people then looked at each other and said "Oh, it never gets cold in Texas" and "She doesn't understand cold." They are from this part of England, and they had just told me that they had never been to Texas. I smiled and said, "It's actually a lot like this in Texas right now." They ignored that and went on to talk about the weather.

I could have said something about how school has been cancelled several times in the past few months because of ice storms in my brother's school district, but I held my tongue.

It's funny that you learn how not to treat people when you have a visitor services job. This isn't the first time I've worked at a front desk, but last time I was working in a clinic, and my weirdest experiences happened over the phone. This time they're happening face to face. My born-to-roll-eyes and my all-too-expressive-eyebrows have been working out, every night, in preparation for the things I hear everyday. And so far, that is enough to keep me in check. But apparently I cut loose after work. Lauren says I give her weird looks constantly during dinner.

Lauren's not a guest, so she will have to handle it. I can't expect my face to assume placidity all the time. SORRY LAUREN. SORRY WORLD.

No comments:

Post a Comment