31.8.14

princess madi coming through

I have a very tender friend named Cat (who has read this blog before, so I hope you don't mind the descriptor I just used, nor the rest of this post) who invited me to live with her this year after I found out I was re-accepted to BYU for two semesters. Without hesitation, without even looking up the house on Google Maps, I said yes and signed the contract via email while I was in Texas this spring.

Since first seeing the house in person a few weeks ago, I think I have successfully, subtly, given everyone who cares to know the impression that I do not like this house (for various related and independent reasons). I will neither confirm nor deny that this is a true fact of truth. I finished moving in yesterday, though. I am in for the long haul, regardless!

I will say, truthfully, that even after living in Europe for three different semesters, this house takes the ever-loving cake on tiniest kitchen. There is a microwave, there is not a dishwasher. The sink is so shallow that I had to wash the frying pan I made pancakes in this morning mostly over the counter, trying to aim the splashes into the sink. Half of the counter space is actually the top of the refrigerator. The light switch is behind the refrigerator, so it is pulled out from the wall a few inches. There is also no dining area, unless you count the coffee table in the living room. I guess I have eaten two dinners there, sitting on the floor. So maybe that is the dining area.

As I reflect upon the long list of issues that set this house in a category all its own when compared to my other residences of the past four years, I realize that my perceived needs are many and I have lived without want for most of my life. I have come to expect privilege. I have become obnoxiously demanding. And to some extent, I am completely unforgiving. This house, which never set out to offend me, which was found by a caring friend who wanted to live with me, has brought out a side of myself that I do not like. But it is deeply engrained and hard to ignore.

So, it's going to be a weird year as far as the house goes. But hopefully by next spring I will be a little more comfortable outside of my comfort zone, which is always a good thing to work on.

No comments:

Post a Comment