The last week of my life has been really weird. It has taken multiple phone calls between my mom and Becky to make me feel like everything will be OK. I guess we all have those kinds of weeks, but it doesn't make it any more comforting to know that.
Probably the worst thing that happened was the passing of Jay Powell. Teachers deserve so much more than they get, and he was such a nice man... It has been 6 years since I left Moore Middle School, but I don't think that dulled the pain any. I remember talking to him about Student Council, using his computer to get the weather for the daily announcements, visiting him when I was in high school. He always smiled. He always asked when I was going to bring him more brownies. He always had a Whataburger cup or five on the experiment table in the front of his room. This article was posted on the Tyler Morning Telegraph website tonight about his death. I have known people that passed away, but suicide is so different. It breaks your heart.
I read this article on LDS.org earlier today that really helped me feel peace. It was a talk given by Elder M. Russell Ballard: Suicide, Some Things We Know, and Some We Do Not. I know he was a good man that helped so many, and that he is with Heavenly Father now. I just pray that his family will feel healed someday. I cannot imagine their grief.
Coach I know you probably won't read this blog post the way my mom and my aunt and my friends will, but I hope you know I miss you, and I have, and I think you were a great man. You made me feel like I could be someone great, which means a lot when you are a sixth grader with a rolling back pack. We love you and we always will. I know I will see you again some day, and I hope until then you can watch your family grow and help them along the way. I will not forget you, and I will try to make you proud.
No comments:
Post a Comment