I escaped to Kanosh last night, just in time to eat something before my grandma put the leftovers away and then go next door to find my aunt and uncle and cousins all sitting on the porch, stargazing. Since Kanosh is 90 minutes (give or take, depending on how fast you drive) away from anything resembling a city, it is really dark outside at night, and if you look up there is not a single space void of stars.
That family is really a hoot to spend time with, and in between movie quotes and ridiculous stories and teasing and singing and just laughing and laughing, someone would point out a constellation and someone would see a shooting star and wish three times for either money or Disneyland (I chose Disneyland). I sat there with the wittle ol puppy on my lap and saw the space station in orbit, and the big dipper for the first time (call me a city girl) and my heart felt full to bursting. I had felt so giddy when Aunt Laura got up to hug me and tell me I was welcomed home. It is such a relief to be home!
I have been far away and I'll go farther someday, but I do hope and think I'll always come back here. At least to see the stars again.
No comments:
Post a Comment