Today I painted my nails in that really popular color of mint green and ate expensive bread with my grandma's peach and raspberry jam on it at 11:39 PM, despite years of motherly warnings against eating past sunset and how it will all go straight to my hips (why does it always go to the hips?). I did both of those things to avoid reading a book about WWII, which is interesting, but a bit depressing. Why do humans do so many terrible things? Maybe we all just need a little more paint (I'm talking to you, Hitler. You could've applied to other art schools!) and good food (Hitler was a vegetarian. It all makes sense now...)
Just kidding, about vegetarians. Bread and jam is pretty non-confrontational on the meat vs. no meat frontline. I actually tend to stick to veg options at foreign food restaurants because I figure it will be safer than meat options, especially when the menu is translated to English from another language. But protein deficiency is dangerous. And chicken is delicious.
Final note (that book is not going to read itself): in my journal tonight, I talked about being infallibly self-aware. I think it is possible to be that, as long as you can be aware of your own doubts and failings. Humans are the swiss cheeses of the cognitive family--we are complete with our holes.
this is just great.
ReplyDeleteI forgot to tell you that I'm so glad your blog is breathing again.
ReplyDeleteI love everything about this post. Especially the thoughts about Hitler.
Did you make up that Swiss cheese metaphor?! I love it! And you!
ReplyDelete