20.2.13

kindergarten

Where: Dunn Elementary, in Arlington Texas
Teacher: Mrs. Hickey

I do not remember my first day of school, ever. I'm sure if I had pictures in front of me, I'd be able to remember the clothes... But what I do remember is that I had gotten one of those grocery-store school supply packs that include everything you need for class, and we all got name tags on the first day that were shaped like Texas.

I did not, by any means, love school. I only had to go to PM Kindergarten, but I hated it. I hated having to get ready, having to leave the house; I remember crying and telling my mom I was always sick and that school made me sick. No mercy.

The best memories I have of kindergarten: A) the day I had to move my pin down because I was preoccupied during reading time with trying to recreate the way women in shampoo commercials would whip their hair so slowly and glamorously, B) telling a girl on the playground that if she didn't want to be my friend, "so be it," (thank you, Pocahontas), C) my short haircut, D) my school pictures outfit that was bought at a department store and I wasn't allowed to wear it very much (but I would look at it in my closet and be like "oh yeah, this is classy." It was a pink felt jumper that came with an undershirt that had flowers embroidered on the collar) E) writing a short story so skillfully that my teacher took it out to the first grade teachers, who told me I was the most talented kid probably in Texas, maybe in the universe (that might be a slightly distorted memory). My mom kept the "short story." It is a four page "book" (two folded, stapled pieces of printer paper) about "muntees" (monkeys) at a zoo. I think it's maybe one full sentence, tops. And yet, it is still regarded within my home as one of my best accomplishments.

Progression is eternal.

1 comment: