The girls here are always talking about boys. *wuz new femalez* And at one point they were talking about types. And when it was my turn to talk about my type, I (took my earbuds out and) said "I don't have a type. I don't know, that's silly."
BUT I HAVE A TYPE. I just realized it today, while I was looking at my new hat.
I love this hat. I probably already love it more than I love my Real Madrid hat, which is really saying something. I love that hat too. That hat is corduroy, the bill is pink and the cap is navy, and it's embroidered with the team seal.
I know that's not a good picture of the hat. But it's me, wearing the hat the way I wear all my caps (backwards and a little sideways because I can't do anything completely in line) in Madrid, at a thuggin hour of night. So here's another picture with the hat in it, emphasis on blue cheese...
I like guys the way I like caps. This is my cap type:
-Quirky. Like, actually weird. But the more you look at it, the more you like it.
-Cool. You do not find these hats anywhere. They are in limited supply. You have to go to the kinds of stores that even tourists don't always go in, and then go to the this-is-from-the-90s-clearance-section, and badda bing badda boom. Awesome cap. And even though it's quirky, at least one person will tell you they like it when you wear it to class. Or camping. Or even grocery shopping.
-Confident. Good caps require confidence. You have to wear these caps backwards, bill pulled down (and just a little sideways, if you are me). Not Fresh Prince sideways. Not popped up on the crown of your head. And you walk around thinking "This hat. I am grateful for it," not "I hope nobody thinks I look like I'm trying too hard."
-Classy, once you get past the quirkiness. You know. Does it get classier than golfing at St. Andrew's? Maybe if you are the HRH, herself. But I bet she would like this cap. QV would. She was all about tartan. It's not tacky. Dignified. Representative of something respectable.
And if the hat was a guy, I would appreciate him appreciating my usage of alliteration in creating that list.
So, there you go. Sorry for the silliness of this post.
But actually, I have something else to say. So if you were only reading this for the part about my type, you can stop now.
This is what else I have to say:
Today, we went to Stirling. Stirling Castle was my favorite castle the first time I went through the UK, and I am happy to say that upon a second visit, it is still my favorite castle ever.
Part of the castle is a museum for the Argyle Regiment, a Scottish branch of the British Army. I remember having to run through this museum the first time I came (to catch my bus), and I turned around at one point, Cam Jansened the room (Cam Jansen was the main character in a series of kid's mystery novels. She could sometimes close her eyes and say "click" and her brain would take a picture that would be saved in its completeness forever), and promised myself I would come back and go through slower someday. I remembered this moment right when I got to the memory picture room today, and a flood of "heck yes this is happening" washed over me.
This summer has got to be one of the best things that has ever happened to me.



you have inspired me to buy a cap and wear it backwards. I've been too chicken until now. You are my idol. Also, I'm jealous of all the fun you're having.
ReplyDeleteWhy would you apologize for silliness?!?!?!
ReplyDelete