28.8.13

dreams, not by the cranberries

So, like I mentioned a few days ago, my dreams have been awesome lately. Like, it's exciting to fall asleep because I can't wait to see what I'm going to dream about. Some recent dream highlights include: a magical flying mail bag in NYC, meeting up with an old friend in NYC, surviving a bombing strike in China, being a bomber pilot (also set in China), being an omniscient viewer of a Spanish Civil War love story, being pregnant with a surrogate child, playing the Marvin United Methodist church's organ in the secret basement of the (Molly) Cook residence (which was actually a castle), and feeling very comfortable walking around naked in a Yellowstone gift shop.

But last night's dream takes the cake.

For one, I was a super hero. I have always longed to be a super hero. On a downside, I think my power was just that I could fly. I feel like all super heros can fly and –––––––. But whatever, I could still fly. I was a member of a not-the-justice-league-but-similar-type-of-league, fellow members including Spiderman (who could fly, in addition to his spidey powers), Cat Woman (now a good guy), sometimes Batman (he literally stopped by during our fight before he had to leave again to fight a bigger crime), Frozone (as a real human), and Emerald Guy.

Emerald Guy was an amazing hero. For one, we were dating. For two, his power is that he has all the powers of Superman as long as he is wearing his emerald ring. I know this makes him sound a little bit like the Green Lantern, but I haven't even seen that movie. Emerald Guy is a straight-up original.

We had assembled in a natural history museum where the bad guy, Gold Man, was holding a bunch of kids for ransom. They had come to the museum for a field trip. I went to natural history museums as field trips when I was in like... in the fourth and fifth grades, I think. But all the kids in my dream were literally toddlers or babies. More vulnerable. And precious.

Gold Man's power was that he was both super strong, and he could stretch like Elastagirl, and when he was wearing his gold ring (there's just something about rings, am I right?) he could shoot gold whip-things out of his hands, like Spidey, but with solid gold. Gold Man looked like Patrick Dempsey when he was wearing his ring, but if you managed to get it off, he turned into an old, scruffy man.

First things first, we must save the children and take out the cronies. I was one of the child-savers, along with Cat Woman. I can vividly recall what that was like--grabbing the babies/toddlers and swooping them up to a second-story ledge, and saying, "Now stay put, babies!" As they roll around with blank looks on their chubby, golden-ringlet-framed faces. Meanwhile, the guys took out all the cronies.

Then, it was time for Emerald Guy to take down Gold Man. At first, it wasn't looking so good. Gold Man had basically laid Cat Woman and Frozone low before Emerald Guy could step in. Both Emerald Guy and Gold Man wore these Transformer-like metal suits to enhance their powers and to protect their rings. But all Emerald Guy had to do to incapacitate Gold Man was put his forehead on Gold Man's forehead. I guess the brain power was just too much for GM. EG then ripped off the hand part of GM's suit and removed his gold ring. Then the police came in and took the now old-man-looking bad guy away.

Then I kissed Emerald Guy's sweaty forehead. I am such a lucky girl.

After that, we left the museum, and we were assigned to accompany GM to an outer-space prison bloc where he could harm the people of Earth no longer. We all got onto a space station-y thing, and started the trip out to the prison. Like half way there, we accepted a visitor transit ship that was holding GM's wife (Maggie Smith. old.com/how-is-this-next-thing-possible) and tiny baby son. They wanted to see GM one last time, and Emerald Guy, knowing that he would want to see me one last time, decided to allow it.

We took them to Gold Man's cell, where he lay decrepit and sickly, and then left the family to their goodbyes. What we didn't know is that Maggie had concealed Gold Man's even more powerful, second gold ring in her handkerchief, and when she gave it to GM, he became basically unstoppable. Also, Maggie Smith turns into a super bad-a** Scarlet Johannsen with her same kick-butt powers as in The Avengers when her husband assumes his hero self. Us superheroes, unaware of the situation, were all sitting in a hallway communicating with our agent on Earth. Then, all of the sudden, communication stops. We know we're screwed. Gold Man's Evil Patrick Dempsey laugh can be heard over the speaker system. And then...

Someone yells "It's a wrap!" And big lights come on, and all the other heros walk off a set while crew people come on and start cleaning things up. I am utterly confused. I thought this was real. The director of this movie, which it was all along, apparently, comes up to me and says, "Bad news. We just lost funding. There won't be a sequel. But you did good, this should bring in a profit." I turn around to look at the communicating device we had been using, and I realize it is fake, and that my life is a lie, and that I am not a superhero, and I exit the warehouse we had been filming in and walk to the nearest playground where I sit, in costume, and contemplate everything that just happened.

So, the ending kind of sucked. But the rest of it was great.

Happy Wednesday.


No comments:

Post a Comment