I went to Medieval Times in Dallas for the first time when I was in the sixth grade, for a drama club field trip. I was 11. I had a blast. I was blissfully unaware of how gross the food was, or how overpriced everything was. I was watching equestrian stunts and people dressed up have a good time. And somewhere between the initial assignment to be on the yellow team and getting back onto the bus after the yellow team won, I just really reached the height of sixth grade happiness.
The day after that happened, I did not want to get out of bed. Something was wrong with me. I felt sick, but also depressed. I tearfully told my mom, who thought I was faking (and I wouldn't put that past her... I hated middle school), that I was never going to have as much fun as I had at Medieval Times the day before. My life was basically over. She made me get up and told me I would have better days, but I'd have to get there first.
And, as usual, my mom was right.
I have had lots of equally/even more amazing days than that day in the sixth grade. But more than once, after those days, I get what my mom calls a hangover. I haven't really ever talked to people about feeling this way, so maybe I'm the only person that gets non-alcoholic hangovers. I just feel mentally and physically and emotionally exhausted, because when I invest, I invest. And if I invest everything, then I run on empty for a while. If that makes any sense.
So, flash back to yesterday: Wednesday. Just another day. I was tired and didn't want to get out of bed, but as I was turning off my alarm, I noticed my cousin Jess had texted me... THAT SHE HAD WON FREE IRON AND WINE TICKETS TO THE CONCERT THAT NIGHT AND SHE WAS INVITING ME TO COME WITH HER.
All caps cannot begin to convey the excitement that I felt for the rest of that day. My heart was full to bursting. I love Iron and Wine, and I had heard that their live shows were better than anything... It turns out that they are definitely better than anything else I have heard live in that kind of setting. It was the concert dreams are made of. And when I crawled into bed this morning at 1 AM, I was completely satisfied with life.
Today was a busy day, so I didn't have time to be hungover... Until I was crawling into bed with a plate of garlic toast and black olives (... yup). I realized I felt sad.
And I kind of laughed. I thought those days of Medieval Times Hangovers were over. I still mourn my best days, maybe because I am still a silly girl, but in the end it gives an added value to it all, in a way. I still remember all those days and nights that were the best ever, possibly because their bestness was burned into my memories as I spent days wishing it could happen all over again and again and again.
So, on the one hand, I am a little bummed that it's not going to happen ever again. Just like Medieval Times when I was 11 never happened again. But on the other hand, what an amazing night!
And what amazing garlic toast.
No comments:
Post a Comment