25.3.14

GREEEEEEAATful

I have said before that I have made some amazing friends here in Grasmere. I'm going to brag about Lauren right now.

Last night, we got home from work and a walk to the co-op and found out there was a dead mouse by our garden wall. It was almost dark outside, but I really wanted to have a funeral right then, so I looked at Lauren and said, "Alright, I'm going to get my torch. It's funeral time." And she said, "Ok." We walked up the hill to the nearest place with deep dirt and I said "We should probably have a name for the mouse," and Lauren said, "I'm thinking Filbert," and I said, "Yeah, that sounds good." Then she offered to give the sermon.

Friends, let's take a look at this interaction. Lauren was 1) willing to put off dinner to give a mouse a funeral in the dark, 2) she did not hesitate at all, 3) she was prepared to both name the mouse and give it its final sermon. You don't meet a girl like that every dynasty.

The funeral was short, but apt. And only a few passers-by saw us. The Trust's curator's wife was one of them, actually, and when we explained to her what we were doing (which we did not do for anyone else) she laughed and said she thought we were having a witch's coven and then said we were very sensitive to the poor mouse. We closed with a short rendition of Colors of the Wind, and then went home for my bread, butter and broccoli and Lauren's chocolate bunny.

I think I've found a keeper. That is all.

No comments:

Post a Comment