27.6.14

THINGS.

I am so tired of things.

I love things. I love looking at them and holding them and sharing them. Things are cool and some things are very important symbols and some things are precious and invaluable.

But I am so, so, so, so, so, so, so, so tired of having them.

Living in England this winter, in my shared kitchen, I had one plate, one bowl, one saucer, two glasses, and two forks, spoons, and butter knives. That's it. Going through boxes of pots and pans and trays and dishes and utensils was EXHAUSTING as I moved in yesterday--so much so that I eventually decided to not unpack any of it until I move into my house for the fall. I missed knowing that all my kitchen stuff could fit into one small drawer like it did last winter. I missed the easiness of knowing that I own so little, and none of it was irreplaceable.

Sometime between December and now, a box full of some of my more valuable things was lost. Since they were valuable, but not used daily, the loss is more aggravating and embarrassing than annoying; life is basically the same as it was when I knew where all of those things were, I just won't be able to use any of those things again, and I probably won't be able to replace them for a while. Like, years. But that makes me wonder: do I really need to replace them?

Do I need to replace any things? What do I really need? What is worth keeping and moving from state to state to apartment to apartment? What is worth buying? What is worth saving?

The answer is: I don't own a lot of things that are really worth having at this point in my life. I use a lot of things over and over again, but other things sit in boxes and wait to be moved. The same thing goes for my clothes, and socks, and cups, and headbands, and pens, and knives, and towels, etc. And the truth is: I'm set on living abroad at some point, and when that happens, I will bring the same things with me that I always do, and the rest of it will be good for nothing. So why waste space with all of these things? Why am I burdening myself? WHY ARE THINGS SO ADDICTIVE?

I don't know. I just want to get rid of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment