27.7.14

2009 WAS SO LONG AGO

Five years. Five years ago, I was taking two courses at the junior college in my hometown for high school credit. My (best friend's) German exchange student had just gone home, and that broke my heart. My mom took me to the American Girl Doll Place for my birthday that summer because I had always wanted to go, and one had just opened in Dallas. I had just started driving Shadowfax née Merry Legs. Oh, that blessed car! I registered for my dream parking spot, literally, at my high school for the next year. I was taking cello lessons again. My favorite pair of shorts were an olive canvas cargo from Gap. They looked good with my soft brown T-shirt. This was my last summer of being truly tan.

Five years ago I wanted to be a high school English teacher when I grew up; I sometimes still do. I am so grateful that in 2008 and 2009 and 2010, a high school English teacher took me under his wing. Teachers are such amazing and important people. I have lots of respect for my college friends that are pursuing education; that is so important, such a sacrifice. I was also planning, or scheming, to get to England the next year. That happened!

During the summer of 2009 I secretly printed out an application checklist to TCU. When my mom found it, I told her it was nothing. That summer I got closer to my parents than I had been since becoming a stupid/rebellious teenager, but plenty of rough waters were left to tread (via the process of becoming a Cougar). Jacob was about to start the fifth grade; he was starting to look like mini Mark. Mark had just started driving, and was still on the high school baseball team. Molly went to the Mediterranean that summer, and I was sooooooo jealous. I had no friends at church, so participating in the youth group was a trial. I would reward myself for going to activities with cherry limeades from Sonic.

Five years ago, an artist whose blog I follow had just quit her job in NYC. Now she is married, has a toddler, and lives in Washington State doing freelance projects and teaching some classes.

Where will I be in five years?

*high-pitched-nervous-sigh* *giggles* Hopefully not homeless. 


No comments:

Post a Comment