I am a dreamer. Really. I have been blessed with the kind of active subconscious that makes all kinds of dreams and retains some of them for repeated dreaming (or at least being able to tell the stories again when I wake up). I have a lot of realistic dreams. I have a lot of love story dreams. Some food dreams. Lots of adventure dreams. But the best dreams, for me, are dreams in which my brain writes fairy tales.
I went through a very long fairy tale phase in my childhood. I guess it basically lasted from four to sixteen... Minus my American Girl Doll phase, which took place from 8 to 10, when I had to get into real life in order to enjoy Kirsten's Swedish-American heritage. That was also my first European History phase, which reopened when I was 17 and is still going on now. Back to fairy tales: I couldn't get enough. Magic is so much more satisfying than reality when you have an overactive imagination.
I had a fairy tale dream last night that I'm pretty sure I could stretch into a book. That's exciting for me. But the problem is that one of the two circles of characters was ogres, which are not very attractive or easy to humanize. So if I want this to be the kind of book that could be made into a movie, I'm going to need to edit that character type. Too Shrek.
So if any of y'all have ideas on how to do that, HMU.
No comments:
Post a Comment