20.9.14

night + music + arts

The spring before I graduated high school, I painted a picture of a southern colonial house (not quite plantation) which is now framed, sitting in the Harry Potter room-under-the-stairs in my parents' house) for my mom, for Mother's Day. While I worked on it, which took nights and nights (although you wouldn't tell looking at it) I listened to Rogue Wave's album Permalight. Now, every time I hear a song from that album, I remember painting in my room in the dark.

The next year, I was in my entrance-level drawing class, which was 3 hours, 7-10:00 PM, twice a week. On most nights, we were allowed to listen to our iPods. I listened to José González or JG radio on Pandora every time. Now, JG reminds me of all those terrible drawings which were done in a well-lighted classroom while it was pitch-black outside.

And this past spring, in-between weddings, I painted some flowers for various invitations and listened to Fancy on repeat. Not that I love Iggy Azalea, but there are always those songs that are easy to get into a groove with... And for me, that's Fancy.

Something about the combination of music, night and art makes the projects very big memories. Big as in vivid, and long-lasting.

Do you have any of those?











tellllllllllll meeeeeeeeeeeeee



No comments:

Post a Comment