2.11.14

NEWS

I got the recommend today, folks! So unless our flights are cancelled, I will be going through the Manhattan Temple with my parents this Saturday.

Manhattan, because my dad has business meetings there on Friday and Saturday, and I've been scheming to go through that temple for four years, and there was never a good time for me to come home this fall, and they didn't really want to fly to Utah for a weekend, and England was absolutely out of the question (drat). 

The Temple because I am ready to commit. Surprise, teenage self. 

There are a lot of things I could say here about my religion, about temples, about ceremonies, about commitment, about covenants....... I honestly don't know where to start. And for all of my very dear friends who aren't Mormon, I'm not sure how much you'd want to know. So this is what I'm going to say:

I was born into the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, and although there were some days when I didn't understand it at all, I have grown and learned and have decided to be endowed, which is basically the highest level of commitment I can make with the Lord right now. Most Mormons get endowed before they go on missions or before they get married, but some just do it when they feel ready even when they aren't going on missions or getting married. And I definitely fall into that last category. I could compare it to wearing the hijab, or taking monastic vows, but it's not really like that. In the temple this Saturday, I will promise God to be my best self and to always serve Him. My life isn't going to change drastically. I'm not going to become a different person. I'm just going to be able to say that I'm an endowed Mormon. 

It's a big deal for me, because it's a spiritual covenant. And my relationship with God is a huge part of my life. But it's not really a big deal for most other people. They don't make greeting cards for this, so you don't really have to interact with the occasion. Again, who I am is not going to change. I just wanted to tell you (my truest, blog-reading friends, foremostly) that I'm doing this and I'm confident and happy about it. 

If you want to know more, please ask me. My email address is madi.dear@gmail.com. I would so much rather talk about it with you one-on-one than have you google questions, then read wikipedia or other websites that want to make Mormons look like cultish idiots. If you'd rather do your own homework about LDS temples and endowment, do it on LDS.org, because that's the legit LDS website. 

Peace and blessings, y'all.

1 comment:

  1. That's great news! I'll be thinking of you on Saturday. Enjoy your day! :)

    ReplyDelete