25.1.12

life is suddenly normal

Week 1: I was just agape at everything. I am in Europe! I am in Spain! I am going to school in a building owned by a 600 year old institution! I don't have to worry about anyone getting mad at me for not replying to texts or phone calls because I don't have a phone!

Week 2: I feel the tinge of homesickness. Why can't people just speak English every once in a while? Why is everyone smoking? Why do I starve myself all day for a four course meal at 10:00 PM? What does Celsius even mean? Where is the peanut butter?

Week 3: College/BYU sets in. I have homework every night. I can't go into Madrid because no one wants to go with me. I'm so excited to stuff myself in the middle of the night. I miss my friends and my XXL sweatshirts (whatever possessed me to bring neither of either is beyond me). I'm relieved that we're not allowed to go on any dates. I rejoice on my way to school that there is no snow on the ground. I am in Spain! I am in Europe!

Other notes: Even though The Prestige has Christian Bale, Hugh Jackman, AND Michael Caine, I'm going to have to say I'd rather watch The Illusionist. I mean, I like Prestige well enough to own it and have watched it more than twice, but The Illusionist... I love it. I don't even know why. NoiseTrade always sends me these emails about trying out new artists and I'm practically never interested, but when they sent me an offer for a free WillFitz sampler, I felt like doing a little dance. One of the songs included is Beautiful Girl, definitely a new favorite. I'm trying really hard to be nice to everyone in my program because I don't want to be the one muerma that doesn't make any new friends, but this was said recently by one of the girls (my eyes were shut on the bus, so I don't even know who said this. If you're reading this, for some reason, just know I wasn't laughing at you--just the way you said it........... I'm still laughing to myself. Sorry! Or maybe sorry I'm not sorry?) on the bus to Toledo, as she was inspecting a sandwich her host mom packed her: "If this is Nutella, why does it smell like Spam?" If you ever want to listen to some really cool things, check StoryCorps. Every single story (well, most of them) have brought tears to my eyes! And, my vote is in on chocolate and churros: even though my hopes were high, I will never be tempted to splurge on them again. I've had them three times, and all three times, I just was not amazed. I would take Navajo tacos (the most magical food of all foods) over chocolate y churros cualquier día.

No comments:

Post a Comment