I've been having literally just the most amazing time in Spain. For a while, the newness was wearing off and I thought I was used to seeing the sun come up on the Iberian Peninsula, but then I realized I am in Spain. This ain't no commerical, nor day dream, nor out-of-body experience. I am on a study freaking abroad! I think that was a pretty great epiphany.
This past week we traveled through Andalusia, which is the equivalent of a Spanish "state." The big stops were the Alhambra in Granada, the Mezquita in Cordoba, and the largest Gothic cathedral in the world in Sevilla. My favorite part was probably seeing a flamenco performance in Sevilla. All of us were blown away! It's truly an amazing art form. I'd say go you tube it, but I've seen clips of the dancing and it's not usually anything special--it's just magical in person.
I have a lot of homework to do before bed tonight (what's new?) so I'm going to close with a ponderation on the meaning of home. I know this is the experience of a lifetime, but one of the weirdest things I've learned over the past month is what it means to be homesick. I've been homesick at school, because I always just want to be back in Texas, but when you're a ten hour flight away from everyone you love... Life can feel pretty lonely. I have great friends in this program and I'm truly lucky to have been able to go with such a large group of church members (because church is a homey aspect in and of itself), but I'm starting to realize how attached I am to American culture, to my American schedule, American foods, American language. I love, love, love traveling and adventure, and I could never regret coming here (it's the best schooling choice I've made thus far. They mean it when they say definitely go on study abroads.) but I miss what I call home. And after wondering for so many years where and who is home to me, I am very aware of home now, because I am so far away from it! I used to ask myself why on earth anyone would want to stay in the same place, or city, or state, for their whole lives. I think I'm learning why.
Anyways, back to loving where I am, I've been planning a 3 day trip to Rome for a few girls in the group and one of my biggest problems the whole time has been worrying about the infamous pick pockets. I was on a travel website looking for advice when I ran across this little safety idea from someone called plasma800:
5) When taking photos, have one person watch, the other take pictures and of course don't let anyone take your camera to take pictures unless you can confirm he's from Texas or something.
Read more: http://www.virtualtourist.com/travel/Europe/Italy/Lazio/Rome-144659/Warnings_or_Dangers-Rome-Pickpockets_and_Purse_Snatchers-BR-2.html#ixzz1lYGpnFpr
And my heart smiled because I knew I was that person they were talking about. 68 days until my plane lands in DFW. 68 days of adventure to go!
No comments:
Post a Comment