February 13th is the Christmas Eve of Valentines. Yes, Valentines Eve.
I bet you never would have gotten to that point of logic without me.
Less offensive turn: I love Valentines Day. I love Valentines Day for the same reason that every twenty-something single girl loves Valentines Day. You get to be "all crafty and mushy and no one can think it's weird!" Also, there's usually a lot of treats involved. And there's flowers. I'm not the recipient of the flowers (ever) but they are usually so pretty! Valentines Day reminds me that love exists in this cold, post-Soviet world of nuclear bombs and wobbling literacy rates and no more 30 Rock. God loves us, he wants us to love. That's beautiful.
Plus, there's the golden line: "To love another person is to see the face of God." (if you know what that's from, you'll appreciate it, and if you don't then that's too bad because now is not the time for me to start talking about the source. too much. too. much.) Valentines Day is basically a spiritual experience, if you're willing to look at it that way. If not, at least there's apparently still heart-shaped Krispy Kremes to have faith in. I have not seen them. But I haven't seen a lots of things that are real. Like rodeos. Or Obama, in person.
13 is not usually a lucky number, but I think that February 13th is the luckiest day of the year. If you have someone special in your life, you will go to bed tonight (you WILL. IMPERATIVE.) with a smile on your face, knowing that you will spend the day of all days to be in love with someone that you love. If you do not have someone in your life, you will still go to bed with a smile on your face thinking about all the people you love and the people they love and the potential inside of you to love and be loved. And don't give me crap about how "if you love someone, Valentines Day shouldn't be a big deal, because you should love them every day." WRONG. We invent holidays to make big deals out of things that are already big deals, whether that be religion, or people, or sports, or countries... We should love and respect lots of things everyday. But holidays are the days when you can really wear it on your sleeve. Be proud to love!
And so, my 25 followers, go forth, and Valentines away!
I am pretty sure that we must be twins, but from different moms, who are sisters. Because I had this very same discussion with someone at work today. And by discussion I told him everything you said and then told him if he disrespected Valentine's day I would do something very bad. So basically I love you! And I love that you love Valentines day. But mostly I love you!
ReplyDeleteI love this so much. I love Valentine's Day and hate haters soooo you rock. Love you.
ReplyDelete