28.6.13

some random pictures that are not on (my) facebook


First of all, seeing my url here melts my heart. UK 4evr.

Second of all, it's raining today. I mean, that's not a rare occurrence here, but I get to sit in my room and enjoy it today (while I write the papers!) and when I heard it thunder, it was just a feeling of glory.


The decepticons like to hang out on our windowsills to avoid the rain. I do not approve. That one guy on the far left was eyeing down my open window while I was taking this, and I immediately formulated a plan for what I would do if he flew in. Best option: bread crumbs either leading out the window, or out into the hall, because I don't care where he goes as long as it is not in my space. Well, my space or the kitchen. I'd make sure that door was shut.


In this keeper of a photo, taken by Jaci Prestwich, I am being five and Tim Tebowing in front of some ruins on the way down from Arthur's Seat (kind of a joke and kind of not... I should be constantly giving thanks for this, and for the fact that I made it up to Arthur's Seat. Who has two thumbs and cannot fathom hiking for fun? This girl. As in me.). The girl standing behind me is Jenna, and she is my roommate for this month. What a good sport.

While we were in Edinburg yesterday, I convinced one of the other girls to go into Grassmarket with me to complete some unfinished business I had in an antiquarian book shoppe. Last year, there was a collection of Victorian prints in a box in that shop that I ended up not going through because I didn't have any money to spend. Now, I have just a pinch of money to spend, and I was ready to go through that box. We got to that shop, but I hardly looked through the prints because I was distracted by a box of NINETEENTH CENTURY WAVERLY NOVELS.

If you do not know what these are, that's OK. I guess not a lot of people do. Do you know who Walter Scott is? No? To make this less of a beastly post, I'll just put in some wikipedia links...
I had to write a longish paper last fall about the influence of the Scott and his Waverly Novels on Scottish identity. That was probably when I became a fan of Scott. Some people don't like him, but I do. And after I finished the paper, I made it my goal to read all of the Waverlys. 

I only got two of the books, volumes two and nineteen, and they're a little worn and I don't want to ruin them, so I will not be reading these buddies during my quest to complete the series. But I know exactly how marvelous they will look on my desk. Very marvelous. Published in Edinburgh (favorite city) in the late nineteenth century (favorite century). Too much. 



We also did hike up to Arthur's Seat yesterday, despite the rain and almost nobody wearing the right shoes. We took the trail that I did not take last year (AKA the Hike. The Hard Trail.), and that was a bit of a surprise. But I did eventually make it, tomato-looking and happy to be alive.

Also, there was a random chunk of a mormon.org card up there...


I left it up there. Someone might need the inspiration.

And now, I need to work on my papers. So have a great Friday. Brush your teeth and all.

1 comment:

  1. I've come to the very real conclusion that you're living the life I would've had if I had actually cared in high school.

    ReplyDelete