9.8.13

living in the suburbs had taught her that everything costs

This book. Our mom had read it to us as kids. I never forgot it. I loved that book all through elementary school. Then I kinda stuck it into the back corner of my brain. Then I got to college and remembered it, and loved it again. Two Christmases ago, I bought it for Mark, but then I realized that I bought it because I wanted it so I kept it. I just started rereading it yesterday.

You guys. I am Claudia Kincaid.

I hope the copyrighters of the universe will forgive me for posting this paragraph. THE FOLLOWING CHUNK OF TEXT WAS WRITTEN BY E. L. KONIGSBURG, EXCEPT FOR THE STUFF IN []s:

Claudia [or Madi] knew that she could never pull off the old-fashioned kind of running away. That is, running away in the heat of anger with a knapsack on her back. She didn't like discomfort; even picnics were untidy and inconvenient [in Texas summers, yes. Otherwise... worth it.]: all those insects and the sun melting the icing on the cupcakes. Therefore, she decided that her leaving home would not be just running from somewhere but would be running to somewhere. To a large place, a comfortable place, an indoor place, and preferably a beautiful place. And that's why she decided upon the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York City. 

[!!!] [That paragraph is definitely about me.] [Thanks E.L.] 

And the best part is that so far the rest of the book is basically the same. If you want to know about what it's like to be in my head, read this book, and insert Madi for every Claudia. 

In other news, my two goals for coming home have been completed: I missed 0/5 of my doctor apps, and I missed 0/1 of the Picnic Club's 5AM Donut Runs. 2.5 days left in Texas, and then on to Provo the Beautiful. I have high hopes... 


No comments:

Post a Comment