29.10.13

what the cuss am i doing

I've gotten pretty good at faking understanding. I just nod and smile and say "of course" or other things like that. This has really come in handy as I accept jobs that require me to do things that I have never done before, but usually those things are easy enough to figure out.

But now that I'm starting my library internship, and they're talking about things like archivisttoolkit and torn free endpaper and the difference between rare, absolute rare, relative rare, temporary rare and local rare... I'm getting that feeling that I'm pretty dang underqualified. There is only so much that I can BS when someone is asking me, "So, according to such and such bibliographer, which edition of X book is more rare and why?" or "What is the most important source for this family donation?" or "What is the proper listing technique for a source written in English, published in Mexico, by an Italian author, before the creation of the Mexican nation?"

I want to be a librarian. I want to go to library school. I want to be good at this. But this internship is a friendly reminder that I am starting at square -2 in this field. And I'm starting to worry that no school is going to accept me. I don't know anything. I DON'T KNOW ANYTHING.

Correction: I know I'm hungry. I know I wish it was raining. I know I need new pants. I know I have 239048923 things to do. But I guess I also know that I have done the unthinkable before...

And miracles happen once in a while when you believe. Thanks Myra.

No comments:

Post a Comment