1.2.14

emotional american post

I have lived away from home for long periods of time before, abroad and in the states. I have gone for months and months without seeing my parents or being anywhere near home. But I have always been gone with people that are at least vaguely familiar to me. Even when I started at BYU, I had family living 15 minutes away. And although the two times I studied abroad I was not familiar with the other students on the trip, we had at least a few basic things in common; at the very least we were all American and Mormon.

Now, being in the English countryside on my own, I'm learning what it's like to be truly on my own. Everyone speaks English, and I'm not taking that for granted, but more than once over the past two weeks I wondered if I could really handle living so far away from family and Target and cars and having data on my phone, despite the breathtaking landscape and my amazing job. I know I thought about those things so much because I felt lonely.

Fast forward to this week, miraculously hitting it off with the six new trainees working at the Trust (that arrived last weekend), and fast forward again to today when I walked into their house and they set off party poppers, handed me a tin of candy, and turned on Titanic--a movie which I have only seen the second half of before, which they found on VHS in their house--and they gave me the spot of honor on the couch. I died. My heart died. Not only did I want to cry for Rose and Jack, but I wanted to cry because I couldn't believe how welcoming these wonderful humans are and I have only known them for six days and I'm such a silly person and I really feel like they are doing the hugest service to me in being my friends.

British people are very good at being polite and not overstepping their bounds, but as the crazy American I am I feel completely obligated to share exactly how much I adore the 2014 Trainees and their museum-loving selves. Although I'm pretty sure I missed a few important points made during the movie's conversation scenes, the lively debate between Alison and Kate brought a whole new level of awareness to the experience. Thanks to Jessie for keeping it in check, though. Also, yes, the faces I was making during the "I'm flying!" scene were completely authentic. I love Lauren for being a good sport about staying in instead of partying at Tweedies with Taffy the Wizard. And Adam wins Host of the Universal Year for making sure I was so comfortable all night, especially since he took the chair instead of the couch. BLESS ALL Y'ALL'S HEARTS.

Today was the best party I've ever had. I feel like there's so much closure in my life... I know how Titanic all starts now, and I found out in Lake Terrace 1 with some of the best people ever. And I'll never let go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NEEEARRRRRRR FAAAAAAAAAAAR...


No comments:

Post a Comment