This weekend I went to a birthday party, and while I was trying to make small talk (as you do at parties, despite the loudness) I asked someone if they had Easter plans. We talked about this for a very short time, before they paused and said, "It's just about some man coming back from the dead," and then they ooh'd ghostily and laughed.
To be completely fair, if you're not Christian, then this day is pretty meaningless unless you're into ghost stories. And this person is not Christian. And it's ok that they said what they said, because it was meant harmlessly. They also didn't know that I am Christian. They also didn't know that I feel religion deeply... So deeply that it's not easy for me to talk about. I bury a lot of spiritual things under many protective layers because I know that a lot of people don't care or would rather have me believe otherwise. Religion is not convenient. Religion is not popular. But religion, my religion, makes up a hugely important part of me. And Easter is probably the best day to admit it.
I believe in Christ. I believe that He was crucified, and I believe that He was resurrected. Easter is inexplicably important to me because of the resurrection. As a Mormon, I believe that after Christ was resurrected, he took the message of his gospel around the world so that all men would know of their salvation. An account of this was preserved by ancient American peoples, found and translated by Joseph Smith, and is now called The Book of Mormon. I know that this sounds crazy. I know. I know. I know. I know how unlikely it all is--I know how hard it is to believe in these sorts of things. But I know it's true. I know. I have weak moments and I am maybe not good at sharing my testimony but I would die for my testimony just as easily as I would die for the people I love. I love Christ. It is a difficult love. But it is a love truer and purer than anything humanly comprehensible.
At that party, after that person laughed, I very awkwardly walked off. I couldn't have made a point then, for various reasons, but maybe I can make a point now. It's true that as a modern American girl I am really into holidays for their bright commercialization. I can hold holidays in my hands and decorate my house with holidays and wrap up holidays and give them to my friends. That's fun! I love it! Easter, in some ways, is no different to all other holidays in America. Chocolate, greeting cards, dining room service sets, all in pastel themes. But for me, and for many people, there is something bigger, something unspeakable... Well, speakable, but in a heart's language.
This song does it for me.
And Mark Mabry's photography.
And a scripture, that I read last night:
I don't think I need to delve into deep doctrine right now. I just want you to know that I believe in Christ, and I have hope because of the sacrifice He made of His life.
And I also want you all to have a Happy Easter, no matter how you spend it :)

No comments:
Post a Comment